Monday, June 16, 2008

Weekend on the intranet: 11rebuy, 5rebuy, and a few sng's

Friday night I ended up going out to the club with some of our lady friends and one of my roommates, had a good time and met some interesting people.

Saturday was a day of rest besides the test of my skills and patience with some online play.

I recently went busto online which isn't much as I play a lot of mtt's and cash fairly often but rarely making enough to really have a br that can sustain a win. I understand that my br management is a little "shaky" at best. With an average br online of around 100, i'm playing in a lot of $3-15rebuys. I mostly play rebuys because of the prize pools and the inflated first place. Along with the bad players and the chance to maximize against them. But also I should look at the other side of that sword. I'm playing a lot of bad players in a large and slow blind field. This in turn is going to increase my level of variance. Playing players that don't know what there doing is plus ev+ but being in a lot of situations where bad players will make big calls with gutshots or a 25% river flush will backfire more then it should. I've been a firm believer that in a rebuy tourney you don't need to rebuy or even add-on a lot of times if you can play a good game.

So let's talk about some of the tournies I played in. After making a run with my last 1.50 in some plo I busted out when I didn't have the redraw. God I need to learn in plo that the nuts withe no flush draw is the worst. Few times I have dodge or been hit by the no draw with the atm nuts. It's hard to figure out what to do when your playing micro stake plo and there is a possiblity for an idiot end straight. But for how often I play plo, I'm losing a lot of it because of the times I do hit I can't bet them out or am just to stubborn to let go khigh flush in 6max, along with holding on to top set and getting my money in vs multiple draws. I think I need to get some studies in along with a bigger br if I want to play and be able to be +ev in this game. When it comes to plo and nlomaha in tourney's I play incredibly well, steal when I have to and maximize value other times. I need to figure out where I'm lacking that makes my plo game so bad when coming to cash games.


Back to the nlhe tourney's. Jumped into a lot of cheap 4.40 and 6.50 sng's ranging for 9-45 players. I won the 6.50 45 player tourney for a cool 85 bucks. It was some pretty good tag play on my side along with getting my chips in with the right percentages. Hit the final table with 7 players getting paid. 9 left and i have about 2.5 bb's. I get two people in front of me push. As I usually like making the money, the momentum of tripling up and making it in the final three outway the shit money I would make if I came in 7th. So with these two guys that I didn't think were too nitty or played anything out of the ordinary I called on the button with 910h and believed my hand was good. We went to the flop vs k4, and a pair of 66's. I couldn't really ask for much more. I hit a pair of tens that held up and I was in the mix with a little above average stack. From there I tightened up and had a bunch of hands that were 1010vs 99 and qq vs jj and some good timing and trapping and with a little stealing.

Busted out a few more players and got to heads up. nobody at this table seemed to outplay me or outhink me, so I had a nice chip lead going into 5 players left and did everything right for the most part. Stole with junk, got value from good hands. And took it down.

Few other ones I ran pretty bad, some ok play as I was a little tipsy and didn't have much patience as I pushed with coin flips and lost most of them at the time early in these sngs.

Ok time to the 10+1 rebuy 45k guarantee and the 5+.50 rebuy, and also the 5+.50 nlo with 25 add-on.

Both the 10 and the 5 dollar tourney I doubled up fairly quickly taking the best of it preflop with aq and ak vs the shorter aj and aq. AFter that doubled up 3x times in both and sat on a pretty monster stack. Maximizing strong draw hands postflop that were hitting pretty good. I had a great play where I was sandwhich with aces and there was a short stack with about 6k just under average and the other bigger stack of 17k as I had 25k. I have been playing a lot of hands, stealing and showing down monsters. A lot of 2nd barrels on 4th street with pretty non connecting-smooth(no textured?) boards. Took a few of those mid size pots down with aggression and preflop show of strength. Anyways as table captain people were ready to start fighting back. So the blinds are 400/800, button who is pretty laggy opens for 2400. Knowing that the big blind is going to resteal a lot of the time i smooth called with my rox. As the plan came together the bb short stack pushed his remaing 7k and then the maniac pushes with his 17k and I snap call, faster then the action came to me. I was up against ak from the shorty, and a10offsuit vs the larger lag stack. I hold up and sit pretty just above 45k. I'm third in chips.

I splash around a little, stealing to much as there is a lot of pushing as the break is coming upon us. About 4 hands in a round after the break I get a nice rush of cards, nice pp's like qq, jj. kq, and so forth against short stacks. In both tables as this happend simultaniously I get it all in against these short stacks with about 90% favorite only to be rivered by a weak two pair or a runner runner straight. Snap calling with tpgk vs bluffs and and everything in between. People at the table were saying, "wow this guy is unlucky". With both of them I got pretty short right before the money went for a blind steal and was dominated both times and that was that.

I'm happy with my play, and think I might take a day and play all sng's. As the cash games have been cruel for the most part, having my kk run into aa and so forth. The mtt's are also a little rough. but i think the low buy in sng's with enough volume could help me get back on track. Nice tag play and a few reads makes these games very beatable with a large enough br and patience.

More soon, i still need to finish gus's book and move on the the next. My level of thinking needs to continue and have a few more steps to take before I can be a favorite with the size of my br in the low $50 max games.

Thanks,

Kameran

No comments: